Monday, September 17, 2007

Green Judaism

This week’s entry will again be updated throughout the week. Today I want to start with two good websites that you can look at to find out more about how Judaism is connected to protecting the environment. I know I’ve given my readers a lot of info these last couple weeks but I really think this is important background info and I will have some profiles coming up.

(I took this picture)

“Man is entrusted with the proper management of the world. We may not stand aside and watch the world being destroyed.”
by Rabbi Yehudah Levi

“Judaism is replete with highly-refined environmental consciousness.”
by Rabbi Barry Freundel

These quotes are from the Tu B’shvat Insights web site. There are several articles by rabbis about how Judaism and the environment are linked. This is a great resource because the articles are easy to understand and have many references to Jewish law and books.


(This is copy and pasted from last week’s post for anybody who hasn’t read it yet)

Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life
I really like this source because the website provides its readers with various ways to get involved in helping the environment. It encourages people to buy energy saving light bulbs, tells them how to contact government officials and what people can do in the synagogue. It explains well how Judaism is connected to protecting the environment on this page: “What’s Jewish about protecting the environment?”

One of my favorite pages is the Source for Environmental Education, Discourse, and Study. There is an incredible amount of resources and programs including tree planting how to have green holidays and many ways to teach green Jewish principles.

No comments: