Sunday, October 14, 2007

Atheism Intro

(From The American Heritage Dictionary.)

I decided to focus on Atheism this week. I must admit this was a tough one for me. First of all, atheism is hard to define. Web sites differ on whether atheism is free-thinking, humanism or basic lack of belief in God. One Web site is focused on keeping church and state separate. The Atheist Alliance Inc. Web site is an example of a free-thinking based group.
(Logo Courtesy of atheistalliance.org.)

Atheism has been around for a very long time but didn't gain popularity until the Enlightenment Era in the nineteenth century. According to the University of Virginia Web site Religious Movement Project there are many factors going into the beginning of atheism, but there are a few notable people who helped it become part of mainstream society.

(Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia.)

Woody Allen is a well-know atheist. I didn't find anything current so I don't know if he still is, but he is quoted on most Web sites that refer to celebrity atheists. His most famous quote on his beliefs comes from his autobiographical film "Stardust Memories."
"To you I am an atheist, to God I'm the loyal opposition." -from Celeb Atheists Woody Allen Info.



Secondly, it was hard to find information on what atheists believe about taking care of the environment. My assumption is that since atheists don't believe in God, they don't see themselves as appointed caretakers. I used to be an atheist and I believed then that people were carelessly using up the earth's resources and if we didn't fix it the earth wouldn't survive.
I will do my research this week and hopefully be able to give you more information on the connection between atheism and environmentalism.





1 comment:

Queen Fred said...

The Enlightenment Era was in the 18th century.